The village Vlčany lies in the Danube Lowland, close to the Váh River and the Little Danube.
The fi rst written mention of village under designation FORCAS was preserved in the Zobor Deed from 1113. Vlcany was the biggest village of the district Šala in the period between two world wars. The number of inhabitants is 3,328. There are two elementary schools with kindergarten,one the Hungarian and one the Slovak language. The churches are the oldest buildings in the village. The Lutheran church comes from 1785, the Catholic one from 1803. The village area includes lakes, which were formed from the old branch of the Váh river. The locality Barkát is declared to be a protected natural reserve, where also the geo-thermal bore with water temperature of 68 °C. The most popular event of the region is the „Autumn Market of Vlcany“ taking place always on the fi rst Saturday and Sunday in October.